EPIC completes a two step preliminary design phase, which includes our unique front-end engineering approach and basic design. After our basic design is complete, we
present a formal fixed bid. Upon bid acceptance we start the detailed project design.
The preliminary design phase encompasses the following steps:
EPIC uses a unique front-end engineering approach to shorten the design phase of your project, keep costs low throughout the project, and establish clear and concise project scope. Through due diligence, we work directly with you to establish your goals for the project, your success criteria, your budget and your schedule.
We use the information discovered in front-end engineering to establish a base design, specify equipment and create a project timeline. Specific things we try to establish during front-end engineering include:
- Establish a clear project scope
- Must-have features and want-to-have features
- Overall goals and objectives for the line
- Plant standards, manufacturing procedures and preferences
- Success criteria and parameters
- The motivational drive for the new production line project
Front-End Engineering Guarantees
Completing front-end engineering prior to entering the design phase of a project allows EPIC to guarantee the following things during project execution:
- Changing needs, alterations and special configurations anticipated and designed for
- EPIC stays within project scope
- Equipment costs remain low
- Line meets your specific goals
- Production line delivered on-time and for fixed bid price
- Shorter design phase
- Surprise costs are eliminated
Once front-end engineering is completed, your project enters the base design phase. During the phase of the project basic line layout is completed and a control and automation strategy selected. Basic line design includes establishing the following elements:
- Basic controls and automation strategy
- Basic mechanical integration design
- Fixed bid price
- General arrangement drawings
- Key milestones and dates timeline
- Long term development plan
- Machine vision and OEE system options
- Major equipment
- Plant integration strategy
- Time and cost savings options
A well thought-out production line is the key to long-term success. EPIC takes your project through multiple design steps to make sure we deliver a quality line that meets your needs now and in the future.
After a basic line design is established, a detailed fixed bid price is presented. The fixed bid includes detailed breakouts for engineering, equipment, fabrication, system installation, and start-up. Once the fixed bid amount is approved, your project moves onto the detailed design phase.
Major equipment is specified during preliminary design and included in the fixed bid price. EPIC can integrate equipment from your preferred supplier, or we can recommend equipment based on a variety of parameters including function, cost and plant standards.
When commercially available, pre-assembled machinery is specified first. If a necessary piece does not exist to meet a need, EPIC will craft custom machinery for full integration with the production line.
We know that timing is essential in keeping a production line on deadline and on budget. Upon final approval of your production line equipment design, long lead equipment is ordered to ensure final completion in the fastest, most cost-efficient manner possible.